Great or excellent? Unhappy or miserable? Expensive or steep? Synonyms are extremely important for improving your English. Here, you can learn English synonyms free. How many do you know? There is also a worksheet below!
Want to improve your English for free? We have lots of examples and practise activities on our website!
Learn English Synonyms Free: Test Yourself
Choose the word that has the same or similar meaning to the word in bold.
1. The movie we saw last night was great! I really enjoyed it.
terrible boiling fantastic exciting
2. Things were bad last year, because I lost my job, lost my girlfriend, and lost my dog. I was sad.
bad miserable overjoyed reckless
3. I can’t afford that! It’s far too expensive!
steep luxurious complicated pleasant
4. I saw Phil for the first time since we split up yesterday, and it was alright – we had a nice conversation, no fighting.
friendly confusing pleasant steep
5. You have to read this book. It’s very interesting.
enthralling exciting complicated boring
6. This book is so boring. Nothing interesting ever happens, and I don’t want to continue reading it.
thrilling revealing complex dull
7. I tried to understand the science lecture, but I just couldn’t. It was too complex.
complicated enthralling thrilling pleasant
8. Susie loves rollercoasters. For her, they are exciting.
interesting thrilling great boring
9. Susie loves rollercoasters, but for Tim they are scary.
terrifying good terrible terrific
10. The weather is so hot today!
freezing tepid humid boiling
How did you do? Think about your answers, and when you’re ready try part two!
Learn English Synonyms Free: Test Yourself Part 2
11. The meeting this morning was long, so I fell asleep twice. I hope no-one noticed.
extensive complicated brief lengthy
12. The meeting tonight will be short, so don’t worry. You can go home soon after!
lengthy brief extended confusing
13. Scott was starving, but in the fridge was only a little food.
tiny short minute meagre
14. She is the main character in the story, and has really interesting motives.
leading important unimportant interesting
15. It is very important that you learn English synonyms, because it makes your language more nuanced and communicative.
vital miniscule insignificant meagre
16. The quality of this product is crucial, and the cost is unimportant.
vital miniscule insignificant meagre
17. The theatre show yesterday evening was really fun so we had a great time.
insignificant short entertaining brief
18. They are both very good-looking people, so they’re very popular.
unattractive interesting attractive exciting
19. Well, his last house was big, but his new house is huge! He must be doing really well at work.
tiny enormous extensive significant
20. I’m so tired from studying so hard!
exhausted energized excited confused
How did you do?
Practicing and using English synonyms is a vital part of improving your English language ability. From checking online thesauruses to using free activities available online, there is lots you can do to learn English synonyms free, but the best way to learn is with a teacher! Check our site for more information, activities, and advice!
Find more free English activities at https://denwasensei.com/category/free-english-activities/
The term Western Culture are often heard in academic environments. But what it is exactly, and what are the pros and cons of Western Culture? Western culture is purposefully vague since a single...
Do you want to know how the 12 Japanese Zodiac can help you predict your personality as well as those of people around you? Let's dig in! In Japanese culture, it is believed that people’s birth...